Volunteers Week takes place 1-7 June. It’s a chance to recognise the fantastic contribution volunteers make to our communities and say thank you.
The 1000 Lives Network, All the Small Things CiC, Expert Citizens CiC and VOICES of Stoke, with support from VAST are working together to organise two events this year – a Big Workshop Day on the 2nd June and a Big Thank You on the 4th June.
Our aims are to:
- bring people together to learn from each other’s experience,
- increase diversity and inclusion, connections, peer support and volunteering opportunities.
- celebrate everything volunteers have done in the city particularly over the past 12 months.
The Big Workshop Day is a chance to share skills and know-how for volunteering and community action in North Staffs!
If you are a community helper, volunteer or support communities, or you are interested in volunteering or taking community action in North Staffordshire, this event is for you.
At the event we will –
- get to know each other
- take part in workshops of your choice, on a range of topics linked to volunteering and community action including mindfulness, Community Organising, welfare benefits, working together as project partners, creative community activities.
- celebrate volunteering
- share resources on the Got It Want It wall – ask for things you need and offer what you have
- join the safe chat rooms to be able to ask questions about volunteering, lived experience leadership and social action
- develop skills, knowledge and confidence
Please book your place at the event. It is free to take part.
The Big Thank You is a Celebration of all the brilliant people who volunteer to help others in their communities across North Staffordshire.
It goes without saying that volunteers have played a key role in the pandemic response.
During an exceptionally difficult year, people from all walks of life have taken the time to volunteer and make a huge difference to their communities – just as they do every year.
This is a time for us to come together and thank all volunteers for their invaluable contribution.
The event is for anyone interested in volunteering or community action in North Staffordshire.
At the event we will –
- watch videos and hear stories about the people we are celebrating.
- be entertained by performances of music and poetry.
- talk about why we volunteer or take social action, or support other people in our communities
Wear fancy dress if you like! On zoom we see each other’s faces, heads and shoulders, so we want to invite you to wear a hat, scarf, make up, big jewellery or other fancy dress to make it feel more like a party than a meeting.
We will do some simple things to say thank you to each other and share our stories.
You will be able to write or draw or speak, or type in chat. Please have 2 sheets of plain paper and some pens handy if you like.
Please book your place and invite other people to come.
You can put someone forward for a Big Thank you.
Do you know someone who you would like to say thank you to for helping and supporting you in the COVID pandemic? Someone who has gone the extra mile. Your lifeline.
It could be a community group or team. Maybe the person who brought your prescription? The person who phoned to check how you were?
This event is to celebrate and thank the community helpers in North Staffordshire. Everyone who is nominated will be recognised. It it not a competition.
There are a few ways to nominate people:
- fill in this form or
- email email@example.com or
- phone Lynne from 1000 Lives on 0751 881 3131 or
- send in a 1 minute video to say who you are nominating and why you want to say thank you to them
Don’t forget to tell the people you nominate for a thank you to book their tickets!
We look forward to learning and celebrating with you!
Categorised in: Latest News